Help us support Solar in Alameda Schools by attending this week’s June 10th Alameda School Board Meeting!!
(6:30-8pm at ALAMEDA CITY HALL, 2263 Santa Clara Ave.)
Thank you to the many who showed your support last week for SOLAR POWER in ALAMEDA SCHOOLS. Your emailed letters over 1-week worked!!
• Over 115 emails sent w/signatures to Superintendent Vital and the AUSD Board (that we were Bcc’d on)
• Agreement from the Board to put SOLAR on this week’s Board Mtg Agenda (Tues, 6/10)
• Board “discussion” (nothing firm) to amend language around SOLAR within AUSD’s Nov Bond text
Definite progress. The Community has now made the AUSD Board aware that many would like to see SOLAR in the schools. However, the Board’s big concern now is whether enough local residents will vote “yes” on a BOND that includes language around solar power / alternative energy / energy-efficiency.
We need your help and attendance this Tuesday night from 6:30-8pm (Council Chambers, CITY HALL).
We need to show #’s (people in attendance, raising hands, Standing-Room-Only, no speaking required) at this June 10th School Board Meeting in support of SOLAR within both the ~$590 millon Facilities Master Plan (again, at an estimated $14.6 million, or less, solar would be a mere 2.5%) and related Nov Bond Initiative. If not included now, there are no guarantees the District will have any $ to move forward with solar power.
The Board needs to know that people will ONLY vote on a Bond Initiative this fall that includes SOLAR POWER.
• WHERE: Tues, 6/10 at City Hall (2263 Santa Clara Ave, 3rd floor Council Chambers)
• WHEN: Please come to Public Comments (6:30-8pm, may end earlier) — We are “shooting” for Standing Room Only (please pass this on!)
• SPEAKERS: We are looking for 2-3 community speakers. Please contact Debi Ryan (CASA Steering Committee) @ email@example.com if you’re interested in speaking out about why SOLAR is important to for AUSD and our Community at large (Parents, Teachers, Students, VOTERS). We welcome your input and involvement.
• 6/10 Board Mtg Agenda can be found here. Public Comments are under section D, #7
Now is the time (if any) to influence the AUSD Board. Their deadline to complete BOND language for Nov is in just a few weeks. While the district has had the FINAL “Solar Master Plan”, authored pro-bono by nonprofit KyotoUSA, officially in-hand since May 20, Superindendent Vital, the District and QKA Architects (leading the Facilities Master Plan) have been part of its development for months.
Please also note: The BOND language being discussed for inclusion by the Board (sent via email on Sat, 6/7 by Board Member – Mike MaMahon – to anyone who sent in a letter) is unfortunately NOT sufficient. This language commits AUSD to NOTHING going forward: “Assess the viability of implementing elements from the proposed draft Solar Master Plan when reviewing major construction projects.” We are already working with them and are hopeful that this language can be effectively amended this week. Your attendence this Tuesday (6/10) will absolutely help to push this forward.
Please share & socialize this upcoming event with your Alameda neighbors and networks (Facebook, Twitter, YahooGroups, blogs, etc.)
~ CASA Steering Committee