Alameda Green Schools Challenge is a joint project of CASA and the Alameda Unified School District (AUSD). It was created in 2009 to support the implementation of comprehensive recycling and composting programs at public and private schools in Alameda.
A key strategy of the City’s 2008 Local Action Plan for Climate Protection is to:
“Work with the Alameda Unified School District to fully implement recycling, reuse and composting at schools. Work with Stopwaste.org to provide on-going recycling education at schools. With 18 schools and approximately 10,000 students, the schools represent an excellent opportunity to raise awareness among the next generation for recycling, reusing and composting to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions.”
Since 2009, CASA has:
- Assisted the Alameda Unified School District in applying for a 3-year grant for recycling and composting infrastructure (internal containers, custodial carts, lesson plans, stickers, and posters) to support the comprehensive recycling and composting programs throughout public schools in Alameda.
- Supported private and parochial schools and pre-schools in implementing recycling and composting programs.
- Assisted AUSD in increasing waste diversion from 41% in 2009 to 70% in 2012.
- Obtained a 3-year grant for training and technical assistance to increase waste diversion to 90% by 2020.
- Supported the district in becoming a preferred partner district through StopWaste.org, ensuring eligibility for StopWaste programs and field trips.
- Facilitated food share and food donation training and expanded food share tables throughout the district.
- Conducted annual custodial training to coincide with waste diversion efforts.
- Supported Green Teams (e.g Go Green) at each school site.
- Drafted the Sustainability Resolution adopted by the Board of Education in 2017.
- Advocated for solar on schools and supported the development of the district’s Conservation, Efficiency and Generation Plan.
We welcome your involvement! CASA is working hard to ensure we have Green Teams at every school in Alameda. Green Teams include faculty, staff, parents, students, and community volunteers. Contact us today to learn more.